The WNESU Diversity Committee generally meets on the third Thursday of each month, at 3:45 pm, at the WNESU offices on 25 Cherry St. in Bellows Falls. The public is welcome to attend. However, please give the SU office a call at 463-9958 to confirm meeting dates and times.
It is the intent of the WNESU and its member districts to promote an environment of positive awareness concerning the diverse nature of our student body and the larger community in which our schools exist. In addition, the WNESU has taken a proactive approach to compliance with state and federal laws in this area. This approach includes training for district staff and building the awareness of both students and parents concerning diversity issues. Finally, our member schools integrate teaching about cultural diversity in many of their units and curricula.
Each school has trained designated employees to whom students, staff, or parents can report concerns about possible cases of harassment and bullying. The designated employees for the current school year are as follows:
- WNESU-- Carl Chambers, Sharon Reynolds, and Christopher Kibbe
- Bellows Falls Union High School-- John Broadley and Christopher Hodsden
- Bellows Falls Middle School-- Dale Chenette and Heidi Lucas-Moccia
- Central Elementary School-- Bruce Downer and Bill Scarlett
- Westminster Schools-- Jon Schottland, Jen Burke and Ashley Hoard
- Athens Grafton School-- John Turner and Carrie Towle
- Saxtons River Elementary School-- Nancy Erickson and Bill Scarlett
The WNESU Diversity Committee meets monthly at the WNESU office at 25 Cherry St. in Bellow Falls on the third Thursday of each month at 3:45 pm. All community members, parents, students, and staff are invited. Since committee meeting times may change occasionally, please give Carl Chambers, Curriculum Director and Grant Manager, a call (802) 463-9958 to check on meeting times or for other information regarding the district's work in the area of diversity education.