Called to Order 5:05 PM at WNESU Offices, Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Present: Chris Kibbe, Tim Doherty, Denny Harty, Rick Holloway, Jim McAuliffe, Jane M. Purdy, Rick Schuhmann, Kristen Swartwout
Also Present: John Hemmelgarn and Kate Coffey, Black River Design Architects
Visitors: Kate McCarthy, Windham Regional Commission
Minutes. Approved from August 23, 2011.
Site Visit. Jane noted that the site meeting held earlier in the day with town officials went very well and the town was willing to adjust their work to accommodate the proposed drop in elevation in front of the school. Black River Design’s engineer will coordinate with town’s engineer. Budget talks to follow.
Energy Grant. Kate congratulated the committee on the revised project grant funding for the solar hot water system (instead of electric point of use hot water heaters). The grant will cover 80% of the project costs, not to exceed $9,600. Funds are from federal Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grants (EECBG). Discussion on fund requirements included:
- Davis-Bacon wage rates. The Qualified School Construction Bonds (QSCB) also requires this and will be incorporated into the project documents.
- Historic Preservation. The QSCB funding does not require Section 106 review according to Devon Coleman of VT Historic Preservation. Kate M. will write memo to Devon with assistance from John.
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) – Kate will complete necessary forms.
- “Buy American” clause. Solar panels must be American made.
- Waste Stream Management Plan. Kate M. to prepare
- Bid Coordination. Project must be out to bid by April 1 and panels installed by September 30, 2012. Kate M. to provide John with grant language and documents.
John asked what is eligible for funding other than the panels (ie design fees, etc.). Kate M. will get back to us on that. John to provide Kate M. with sketches of the solar panel locations in 2-4 weeks after he has confirmed with the structural engineers. Kate also mentioned that if there was a sound basis for upsizing the system to include a 3rd panel to provide more hot water, the energy committee was willing to review that. On a side note, Jane asked Kate if WRC offered any assistance with traffic studies. She said we should contact Matt Mann or Kendall Gifford at WRC and they could provide us with more information. Committee thanked Kate for her support. She will send an Award Letter and Agreement to Chris for school board execution and check back with us in about
Clerk-of-the-Works. Committee discussed each of the six proposals received and decided to interview three including Scott McKusick, Northfield, MA, Rick Hoermann, Middlesex, VT and Steve Horton/Andrew Dey, Walpole NH. We developed a list of interview questions. Interviews to be scheduled for Thursday, September 15 at 9:00 AM, 10:00 AM and 11:00 AM. Chris will call to set up interviews and provide them with a copy of the phasing plan and ask them to bring a sample copy of their contract. Chris will also check with our insurance agent about minimum requirements.
Floor Plans. John and Kate to meet with Heidi on Tuesday, September 6 at 3:30 PM to discuss some outstanding issues involving the science labs, special education rooms, etc, that were brought up during the staff interviews.
Architect’s discussion. John presented an update to the project schedule. Design Development to be completed by end of October, construction estimates by end mid October, Construction Documents by mid January, receive bids by mid February and start construction in March 2012. He also suggested our next meeting be held at BFMS to look at the auditorium windows and decide what to be done there. They are in good shape and could be easily opened.
Arts/Historical Societies. Jane suggested we contact the historical societies to see if there was any interest in either short term or long term participation in display work at BFMS. Kristen volunteered to contact SR Historical Society (Louise Luring) and find a contact for the Westminster Historical Society. Tim to contact BF Historial Society (Dennis Ladd). Jane has also spoken to Robert McBride about getting his feedback on ideas for the “Art Floor” and may see if he would be available to come to the Sept 29th meeting. Open discussion.
Business Solicitation/Fundraising. Committee thought that fundraising efforts should focus on those items not in the budget such as the back play area, furniture, auditorium windows, etc.
Public Notices. Tim suggested Jane contact Howard at Brattleboro Reformer for a news article on the status of the project. Kristen also noted that the grant would be great PR.
Other comments. Kristen mentioned there is archived data on the website from the pre-bond vote. Committee recommended that data be removed and only current data be on the website.
Next Meeting Topics. Final plan layouts, lighting options, window options, Clerk–of-the-Works recommendation.
Next Meeting Date. Thursday, September 15th, 8:30 AM at WNESU for Clerk-of-the-Works Interviews. Regular Meeting at 5:00 PM at BFMS Library.
Adjourned 7:40 PM.
Minutes prepared by Jane M Purdy. Submit any errors or omissions to Jane for correction.